UCT Admission Requirements 2024-2025
UCT Admission Requirements 2024-2025: The University of Cape Town (UCT) Courses and Requirements for 2024 Application
The University of Cape Town (UCT) admission requirements to study for the 2024 academic year differ depending on what you wish to study. The eligibility for admission to certificate courses, diplomas and degrees is listed below:
Undergraduate Certificate Study
- In order to be sure of the eligibility for admission to undergraduate certificate study, all applicants must consult the Admissions Office or the faculty concerned.
UCT Undergraduate Diploma Studies
UCT’s minimum requirement for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in 4 recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
UCT Bachelor’s Degree Studies
To qualify for admission to any degree programme, the applicant needs to meet the minimum requirements for eligibility:
- Applicants who have a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) need to pass a minimum of 4 subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in any four 20-credit NSC subjects.
- Applicants with a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement.
- All applicants having non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. Please visit the website of the Matriculation Board for more details
The UCT Minimum Language Proficiency
All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to study.
South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants
- South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at the Senior Certificate level.
South African NSC Undergraduate applicants
- South African NSC undergraduate applicants to UCT, must have achieved a rating of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at the Home Language or First Additional Language level.
Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates
Please see UCT’s language requirements.
For further information on the IELTS and TOEFL exams, please contact the UCT English Language Centre.
Calculating Admissions Points Score (APS) at the University of Cape Town (UCT) for 2024
- An entrance score equivalent to the percentage attained in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be assigned.
- The sum of 6 subjects, excluding Life Orientation, but including English and any required subject(s) for the relevant programme, is considered when deciding on admission. For example, for a given programme where Maths and Physical Sciences are required, we will take scores for English, Maths, Physical Sciences and the next best 3 subjects other than Life Orientation to compute the NSC score towards the APS.
- Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score.
OTHER RELATED LINKS:
- UCT Courses and Requirements 2024
- UCT Application Requirements 2024